Effective Date: November 15, 2022
This Privacy Notice explains how the Immigrant Legal Resource Center (“ILRC”, “we”, “us” or “our”) collects, uses, discloses, and otherwise processes personal information in connection with our website, https://www.ilrc.org/ (the “Site”), and the related content, services, products, and other functionality offered on or through our Platform (the “Platform Services”).
This Privacy Notice does not address our privacy practices relating to ILRC employees or other personnel. In addition, this Privacy Notice is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.
What We Do
The Immigrant Legal Resource Center is a national nonprofit that provides immigration legal trainings, technical assistance, and educational materials, and engages in advocacy and immigrant civic engagement to advance immigrant rights. We help immigration law professionals and advocates expand their expertise, train immigrant communities to advocate for themselves and navigate immigration laws, and help to ultimately shape these laws and immigration policy for the benefit of our users and affiliates.
What Is Personal Information?
In connection with our services, we collect and process personal information. When we use the term “personal information” in this Privacy Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to an individual. It does not include aggregated or deidentified information that is maintained in a form that is not reasonably capable of being associated with or linked to an individual.
Our Collection of Personal Information
Sometimes we collect personal information automatically when an individual interacts with our Platform Services, and sometimes we collect personal information directly from an individual. At times, we may collect personal information about an individual from other sources and third parties, even before our first direct interaction. We do not sell personal information, or use personal information for any purpose not explicitly referenced in this privacy notice.
Personal Information Collected Directly from Individuals
We collect the following personal information individuals provide in connection with our Platform Services:
- Contact Information, including first and last name, email address, and communication preferences. This information is provided in order to create an ILRC account or sign up for the ILRC newsletter.
- Marketplace Account Information, including first and last name, email address, company (if applicable), username and password, payment information, billing phone number, billing address, and shipping address, and entity designation (e.g., “nonprofit organization” or “business”). Please note we use third-party payment providers to process payments on our behalf and do not accept payment directly through our Platforms.
Personal Information Automatically Collected
As is true of most digital platforms, we and our third-party providers may also collect personal information from an individual’s device, browsing actions, and site usage patterns automatically when visiting or interacting with our Platform Services, which may include:
- Log Data, such as internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type, browser ID, the URL entered and the referring page/campaign, date/time of visit, the time spent on our Platform Services, and any errors that may occur during the visit to our Platform Services.
- Analytics Data, such as the electronic path taken to our Platform Services, through our Platform Services, and when exiting our Platform Services, as well as usage and activity on our Platform Services.
- Location Data, such as general geographic location based on the log data we or our third-party providers collect.
Personal Information from Third Parties
We also obtain personal information from third parties, which we often combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from an individual.
We may receive the same categories of personal information as described above from the following third parties:
- Service Providers: Our service providers that perform services solely on our behalf, such as payment processing and marketing providers, collect personal information and often share some or all of this information with us.
- Affiliates: We may receive personal information from other companies owned or controlled by ILRC, and other companies owning or under common ownership with ILRC. This includes our subsidiaries (i.e., any organization we own or control) or our ultimate holding company (i.e., any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiaries it owns, particularly when we collaborate in providing services.
- Information Providers: We may from time to time obtain information from third-party information providers to correct or supplement personal information we collect. For example, we may obtain updated contact information from third-party information providers to reconnect with an individual.
- Publicly Available Sources: We collect personal information about individuals that we do not otherwise have, such as contact information or an individual’s interest in our Platform Services, from publicly available sources. We may combine this information with the information we collect from an individual directly.
Our Use of Personal Information
We use personal information we collect to:
- Manage our organization and its day-to-day operations;
- Facilitate business transactions, including the sale of our publications, webinars, seminars, and recordings;
- Facilitate Platform Service users’ individual benefits and services, including customer support;
- Facilitate donations;
- Communicate with individuals;
- Market our Platform Services and products to individuals, including through in-person events, email, and other online venues, based on individual interests and interactions with us;
- Administer, improve, and personalize our Platform Services, including by recognizing an individual and remembering their information when they return to our Platforms;
- Identify and analyze how individuals use our Platform Services;
- Conduct research and analytics on our user base and our Platform Services;
- Improve and customize our Platform Services to address the needs and interests of our user base and other individuals we interact with;
- Test, enhance, update, and monitor the Platform Services, or diagnose or fix technology problems;
- Help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our property and Platform Services, technology assets, and business;
- Defend, protect, or enforce our rights or applicable contracts and agreements;
- Prevent, investigate, or provide notice of fraud or unlawful or criminal activity;
- Reorganize the structure of our business; and
- Comply with legal obligations.
Where an individual chooses to contact us, we may need additional information to fulfill the request or respond to inquiries. We may provide additional privacy-related information where the scope of the inquiry/request and/or personal information we require falls outside the scope of this Privacy Notice. In that case, the additional privacy notice will govern how we may process the information provided at that time.
Our Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose Personal Information in the following ways:
- Affiliates. We may share data with other companies owned or controlled by ILRC and other companies owning or under common ownership with ILRC. This includes our subsidiaries (i.e., any organization we own or control) or our ultimate holding company (i.e., any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiaries it owns, particularly when we collaborate in providing services.
- Data Analytics Providers. We share information with data analytics providers who analyze statistics and trends relating to the usage of and activity relating to our Services. These data analytics providers produce reports and make suggestions for our Services and business strategy based on personal information and other data analyzed.
- Marketing and Communications Providers. We coordinate and share data from our Site and Online Store with our marketing and communications providers to communicate with individuals about our Services. We use Pardot (owned by Salesforce) as our marketing automation platform. More information about how Pardot uses data is available here: Marketing Cloud Account Engagement - Salesforce.com.
- Webstore Partners: We rely on third-party partners to power our Online Store. We may share data with these partners for purposes of operating our Online Store. Please note we currently use Salesforce to power our Online Store. More information about how Salesforce uses data is available here: Salesforce’s Privacy Information - Salesforce.com.
- Donation Partners: We rely on third-party partners to facilitate donations. We may share data with these partners for purposes of accepting and processing donations. Please note we currently use Blackbaud to facilitate donations. More information about how Blackbaud uses data is available here: https://www.blackbaud.com/company/privacy-policy/north-america.
- Payment Processors: We share data with or direct individuals to provide data to payment processors who process payment for orders on our behalf.
- Service Providers: In addition to the third parties identified above, we engage other third-party service providers that perform business or operational services for us or on our behalf, such as site hosting, infrastructure provisioning, IT services, analytics services, and administrative services.
- Business Transaction or Reorganization: We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets. We may disclose data, including personal information, to a third party during negotiation of, in connection with, or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Data, including personal information, may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose data, including personal information, to third parties, such as legal advisors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of others, including to enforce our agreements and policies;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to protect the health and safety of us and others; or
- as otherwise required by applicable law.
- Otherwise with Consent or Direction: We may disclose data, including personal information about an individual, to certain other third parties or publicly with their consent or direction. For example, with an individual’s consent or direction, we may post their testimonial on our Site.
Cookies and Related Technologies
We and our third-party providers may use (i) cookies or small data files that are stored on an individual’s computer and (ii) other related technologies, such as web beacons, pixels, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, and logging technologies (collectively, “cookies”) to automatically collect certain data when an individual visits or interacts with our Services. For example, we use Google Analytics to collect data about the use of our Site. Google Analytics collects data such as how often users access the Site, what pages they access when they do so and what other sites they used prior to using the Site. To learn more about the use of data collection technologies by Google for analytics and to exercise choice regarding those technologies, please visit the Google Analytics Opt-Out browser add-on page available here.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow an individual to: (i) change browser settings to notify the individual when they receive a cookie, which lets the individual choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set the browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact an individual’s experience using our Services, as some features and offerings may not work properly or at all. Depending on an individual’s device and operating system, the individual may not be able to delete or block all cookies. In addition, if an individual wants to reject cookies across all browsers and devices, the individual will need to do so on each browser on each device they actively use. An individual may also set their email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether they have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
Children’s Personal Information
Our Platform Services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, or knowingly, collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. If an individual is under the age of 13, they should not use our Platform Services or otherwise provide us with any personal information either directly or by other means. If a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us to request that we remove the personal information from our systems. If we learn that any personal information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that personal information.
We may choose or be required by law to provide different or additional information relating to the processing of personal information (as defined below) about residents of certain states. Please refer to the additional information below that may be applicable to you:
- Nevada: If you are a resident of the State of Nevada, Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes permits a Nevada resident to opt out of future sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about the resident. Although we do not currently sell covered information, please contact us at to submit such a request.
Links to Third-Party Websites or Services
Our Platforms may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins, and applications. Except where we post, link to, or expressly adopt or refer to this Privacy Notice, this Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, any personal information practices of third-party websites and online services or the practices of other third parties. To learn about the personal information practices of third parties, please visit their respective privacy notices.
Updates to This Privacy Notice
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will change the date at the beginning of this Privacy Notice. If we make material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify individuals by email to their registered email address, by prominent posting on our Platforms, or through other appropriate communication channels. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Privacy Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to email@example.com.