How US Citizens Can Petition Their Parents for Permanent Residence

Community Resources
Publication Date

Undocumented individuals who have U.S. citizen children often ask when and if their child can help them obtain their Lawful Permanent Resident status. A citizen child who is over 21 years old can begin the process for a parent to get their Permanent Residence card, often referred to as a green card. However, the process can be complicated and any parent seeking a green card through their child needs to carefully consider certain things before they move forward. This guide provides a brief explanation of this process, what is needed for a son or daughter to help their parent(s) obtain status, and some considerations to keep in mind as you explore this process.